Design Wall Monday

Got my second quilt top for St. Anne's done.  There are 6 tube quilt leftovers in this top - all were in the scrap bag I brought home to work on.  What's a tube quilt?  You take 6 strips of fabric wof and sew them together and sew the last to the first one to make a tube. You then cut this tube into tube strips - usually the size of the width of your strip.  Turn them right side out and pick a square you want in the first row of each of them - in the order you want. Rip out the seams at top of your first row to make a column of squares. Sew these strips back together.

Here's what one looks like: 

You can usually cut six columns, and lots of times there's a bit left over.  The last four columns on the right are leftovers as well as the first one and the one with the buggy print. Going up on my design wall as soon as I finish sewing it together is the next one from the bag.  I made the nine-patches today.  They came out 7.5" square. So now I have to decide what I'm going to add from the bag to make it 36" square. I'm auditioning the yellow.


Tomorrow I plan to work on my hexies, do a bit of quilting with my DSM, and start on my next 17 UFOs in 2017.  How about you?  Linking up to Judy at Patchwork Times and a couple of other linkies in the tab above. I hope you get to sew today. I'm linking to Cynthia's Oh Scraps.

12 comments:

  1. looking good though I am struggling to work out how you do it, it is the unpicking bit but will have a ponder and maybe the light will come on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the HUGS quilt, it is so cheerful! and scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness...you have been busy. So many cute quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your Hugs quilt is very cute and colorful. I don't quite understand how you did it, but the effect is fun. You are turning out some nice projects. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a smart way to use your leftovers. Love that you pieced Hugs into the quilt. This will be well-loved. I've used your method for Trip Around the World but hadn't thought of using it for leftovers. Thanks for linking with AHIQ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make this sound simple, but my brain tied itself into knots just trying to imagine it! I like the Hugs quilt - adding the words and using scraps gives it a lovely character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very fun quilt. What a clever way to use up those left over bits. Good luck with your UFO list this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice use of scraps! You may want to consider linking up with Kat at Kat and Cat Quilts for her Sew Some Love Link-up. She doesn't mind what charity you are sewing for... just that you are sewing for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet charity quilt!
    I like the sewing concept behind it too.
    Wishing you continued success with your UFO quilts and list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great use of scraps! The quilts are sure to bring comfort and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job using up those leftover bits. I love that little quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...