FMQ Challenge 1/6/12

I'm taking part in the FMQ Challenge for 2012. And I've decided instead of making sandwiches or sample quilts, I'm going to do my FMQ quilting practice on whatever I am working on at the time each segment is posted once a month. This month I was working on a charity quilt, so that is what I tried the continuous leaf pattern provided by Frances Moore. It is a rag quilt and perfect to try on small squares. At right are my first 4 squares (if you click on the photo you can see the enlargement and see the quilting better). Going clockwise from upper left, you see the pattern going from bad to better.  I used an 80/12 needle with blue thread in bobbin and pink thread on top.  You are looking at the back.  I had to adjust the tension to be a little looser so that the pink thread would not show on the back.  So here are the blocks incorporated into the rag quilt.
I'm liking this pattern.  I can see using it on sashing or a border.  It's my favorite thing this friday as I cough and shiver through my day.  On my sidebar, you'll find the button for both the 2012 FMQ Challenge and Shay's Favorite Thing Friday.  Go see what others are liking.

14 comments:

  1. Nice job! I have yet to practice this pattern for the FMQ Challenge, but hopefully will get a chance this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to be a cute quilt. Leaves look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your leaves look amazing and I'm really impressed you've decided to just go for it by FM-ing whatever you happen to be working on. That takes guts! I cant wait to see how this goes for you . I have a feeling you're a natural!

    I really should join in on this group...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try joining in on the FMQ Challenge as I think it's a great way to improve skills.
    Your leaves are fantastic, and you are so brave to incorporate it into a project, I'm going to be doing it on sample sandwiches until I have a lot more confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! This sounds like something I should to and check out. I do love your fabric choices too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty blocks! Good luck with all your FMQ efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job!! Great idea using the squares for the quilt (which is super cute). Love the FMQ challenge. I agree with you the leaves in the border is what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angie,

    GREAT JOB!! Love the leaves you're using for the FMQ challenge. The flannel rag quilt is going to turn out cute!!

    Hugs!
    Deanna B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm too chicken to do this on a quilt. I did try once on a scrap, but I was awful at it! I may try it again one day, but not in the near future. Good luck with yours, it looks like you're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, I admire you clever free motion quilting ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilting and a wonderful idea! I'm not much into a bunch of practice swatches either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to practice on a real project too. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your FMQ leaves are great. I love the heart shaped leaves. I tried a continuous leaf FMQ on a border and they are so forgiving. My leaf was not nearly as complicated as what you are doing, though. Wanted to let you know I received the blackbird applique pattern. Thanks bunches!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...