Applique Tuesday

A process I'd like to share with you -and it does involve applique:

 I did finish that block you saw in the previous post.  It is a block from a BOM from a 2010 blog hop.  I had no choice in the fabric selections, though I love the collection they used.  You got the blocks as kits.  This paper piecing one I have been putting off for a long time.
 Above you see the finished and joined 4 units.  Phew, that took me a while to do!  I then pulled off the paper at the seams I pressed open and the seam paper allowance around the outside of the circle formed by the units.
 Next, with a dry iron, I ironed over the seam allowance onto the paper.  This was to make it easier to starch the seam allowance in the next step.  The copy paper was stiff enough that I could use it for the freezer paper in the starch method.
 Next I got out my spray starch, spritzed a little in a dish and with a brush proceeded to starch/press down the seam allowance on the outer edge.  Above is what it looks like once starched in place.  I then took out all the paper, turned it to the front and pressed one more time to get the seam allowance to lay flat again.
I then placed it on the black background and sewed it between the black fabric and the ground (black with green dots).  Then I added the river and sky.  It is now ready to hand applique around my half circle.  Think I now have 22 blocks of this series done.  Maybe 2 or 8 more to do.  Can't remember how many of these 8" blocks are left.

So not an applique block per say, but one in which I incorporated applique because I either lost or never got the template for the black piece to put these two parts together in the normal way - sewing a seam.

What are you up to?  I'd love to see your eye candy!  Leave me a comment and I'll come and visit to take a peek.  I'm linking to Connie's Linky Tuesday Party.  Blessings to all.

14 comments:

  1. It must be a good feeling to get back to this beautiful quilt. I just started paper piecing a couple of years ago. I really like the accuracy you get, something that I still struggle with on my regular piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very striking block! I would have put it together exactly as you have done! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful block and it's so graphic looking with the different fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You selected the perfect fabric for this quilt!!!
    esther

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am stunned! If the entire quilt is built using the same fabric, this will be a fabulous show stopper. Your piecing is AMAZING! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie,
    This one is incredible! Unlike anything else that you've made. I love the choice of fabrics. Not sure I would try this, as looks too tedious. LOL! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work Angie!!! It's lovely. What a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very pretty!! I love the mariner's compass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An amazing block that didn't turn out at ALL like I expected. LOL I thought it was going to be a flower on a stem, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love paper piecing and that block is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spectacular! Thanks for telling how you managed to make this paper pieced beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

SAHRR Round 5 and 6

  Ready to show rounds 5 and 6. Actually, the prompt for 5 was make 4 of something. So I chose four patch, and actually since that made my q...