Design Wall Monday 6/20/11

My design wall this week is the bed of my sewing machine as I am just about finished quilting my May UFO.  It's the first time I've attempted feathers - and these aren't free hand - I'm using Golden Threads thin paper roll.  I used an old neddle to outline the motif and then I pin it over the block it will be in.  I then quilt it.  I"m using invisifil thread (100wt) in a light tan.  Have a ways to go and I'm finding its hard to go over a section a second time in quilting when the paper is in the way to see where you stopped.  Since this is my first time, I got lost sometimes in the line of sewing and had to go over a couple of places three times.  What this does is make it harder to take out the paper in those tiny places.  Where are my itty bitty pointy tweezers?  Here is what the back looks like:
Please tell me about your quilting adventures with a paper motif as a guide.  And be sure to go to the left sidebar and click on Judy's Patchwork Times button to see what others have on their design wall!

9 comments:

  1. WOW...very nice. I hope to be that good some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty. It sure doesn't look like your first attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice!! I've done the paper motif as well but not for feathers. For feathers, I find it easier to draw the stem with chalk and then freehand the loops. Try drawing it on paper about ten times and then you'll see how easy it is to do when you get to the machine. When I do use paper, I like to use a little bit of spray adhesive to get it to stick to the block so the paper doesn't get in the way when I quilt. I also just use plain old tissue paper, it's cheaper and I think works just as well once you get use to this method. Can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I use a paper pattern, it's easiest to dampen it when removing. I hated doing that part so much, I forced myself to do it freehand. Really love doing it that way. Yours is looking great! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilting! I've only done the motif method once, for a fairly large design of a fleur de lis. I used tracing paper and a short stitch--mine was with contrasting thread so I think that helped with removing the paper. It was a good way to get the motif I wanted but still a bit of a bother to remove the paper. Since it was DD#2's quilt, I made her help me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm thinking WoW I would love to be able to quilt like that someday! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks good! I'd never guess it was your first attempt at feathers. I've used the paper before for quilting and it is hard to find your way again. Try sticking a pin in the next time you have to stop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...